Training & Events
Trainings Offered on a Rolling Basis
The following trainings are examples of the types of trainings we can provide at no cost to your organization. To inquire about these, or other training and technical assistance needs, request assistance.
Primary Care Association-Sponsored YSBIRT Training for Member Organizations
For primary care associations looking to host a training for their health center member organizations’ staff on the clinical components of YSBIRT implementation. This live training includes one to two intensive sessions on the clinical aspects of YSBIRT delivery and interaction with youth and is intended for practitioners who provide direct care to youth. Participants will learn how to interpret screening results, deliver the corresponding brief intervention, and support a referral to treatment, when applicable.
Primary Care Association Education and Operational Training
This training is for primary care association staff to increase their knowledge of YSBIRT and build capacity to support their members in implementing YSBIRT. The content of these one or two intensive session(s) will be determined based upon your association’s needs.
Health Center Clinical and Operational Training
This training is for health centers and primary care practices that would like to learn more about the clinical and operational components of comprehensive YSBIRT implementation and practice transformation. The content of these one or two intensive session(s) will be determined based upon your association’s needs.
Not sure where to start in implementing SBIRT for adolescents within your primary care setting? Check out our on-demand modules that breaks out the clinical components of the SBIRT process and introduces you to the Improving Adolescent Health: Facilitating Change for Excellence in SBIRT change package!
Watch an introduction video to learn more about the on-demand curriculum.
Module 1: Introduction to SBIRT & Screening
- Be able to define SBIRT and key components of screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment
- Understand why SBIRT is important in primary care for adolescents and current trends in substance use
- Understand the S2BI screening tool as compared to other screening tools and how to conduct screening using the S2BI
- Explore confidentiality between provider/patient/guardian
- Be able to interpret screening results and actions to take based on results
Click here for Module 1: Introduction to SBIRT & Screening
Module 2: Brief Intervention and Motivational Interviewing
- Understand the components of an effective brief intervention
- Learn the appropriate level of intervention based on the screening results
- Be able to define motivational interviewing
- Apply strategies of motivational interviewing to a brief intervention
Click here for Module 2: Brief Intervention & Motivational Interviewing
Module 3: Referral to Treatment & Ongoing Management in Primary Care
- Understand the referral to treatment process and the provider role
- Identify barriers to treatment access and methods to facilitate and follow up with patients referred to care
- Understand how to identify both internal and external referral options within their FQHC and community
Click here to complete Module 3: Referral to Treatment & Ongoing Management in Primary Care
Module 4: Data Driven Decision Making
- Understand how to develop an effective and sustainable SBIRT data collection system
- Identify concrete strategies to use data to motivate staff
- Assess opportunities for instituting continuous quality improvement for SBIRT
- Explore approaches for using data to improve patient outcomes
Click here to complete Module 4: Data Drive Decision Making
View recordings of past trainings to learn more about the Facilitating Change for Excellence in SBIRT change package!